Mr Felipe Dhawahir-Scala is a highly qualified Consultant Ophthalmologist and Vitreoretinal surgeon working in both Manchester and London.
Mr Dhawahir-Scala qualified in Madrid before training as an ophthalmologist in England, going on to become an expert in areas including retinal surgery, floaters, retinal detachment, simple and complex cataract surgery, Age Related Macular Degeneration among many other retinal conditions including acute and longstanding ocular trauma.
Well regarded by his peers, Mr Dhawahir-Scala is the director of the acute ophthalmic services at the prestigious Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, a globally recognised centre of excellence. A prolific contributor to his field, Mr Dhawahir-Scala has introduced several new technologies both in the UK and abroad. He has been actively involved in teaching and research, has published numerous scientific papers and has made countless presentations nationally and internationally as a guest speaker.
Mr Dhawahir-Scala is a founding member and Vice-President of the British Emergency Eye Care Society (BEECS) and is an examiner at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, where he examines doctors from all over the globe who are seeking to obtain a high ophthalmology qualification.
He is fluent in English, Spanish and Arabic, allowing him to see many patients from around the world without the need for a professional translator which enhances the Patient-Doctor communication.
Special Clinical Interests
- Retinal Surgery
- Retinal Detachment
- Macular Surgery
- Eye and Retinal Trauma
- Age Related Macular Degeneration
- Simple and Complex Cataract Surgery
- New techniques in exchanging and managing problems with dislocated, incorrect or damaged intraocular lens implants
- Miniature Implantable Telescope for End Stage Age Related Macular Degeneration
- Eye Emergencies
- YAG Laser
- Diabetic Eye Disease
Current Memberships of Professional, National and International Bodies
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Emergency Eye Care Society (Vice President)
- European Retinal Society
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Key Opinion Leader for Ophthalmic Surgical Companies
- Faculty Member of the European School For Advanced Studies in Ophthalmology ( ESASO)